Book Review: Boys That Bite



Boys That Bite (A Blood Coven Vampire Novel) by Mari Mancusi

First sentence: "You know, being bitten by a vampire one week before prom really sucks."

From the back: "When Sunny McDonald gets dragged to Club Fang by her twin sister Rayne, she doesn't expect to find anything besides a bunch of Goth kids playing at being vampires. But when some guy mistakes Sunny for her dark-side-loving sister and bites her on the neck, she finds out that his fangs are real -- and deadly. Now, Sunny has less than a week to figure out how to reverse the bite, or else she's going to end up as one of the perpetually undead. And not only will she be a vampire, she'll also be bonded to Magnus -- the bloodsucker who bit her -- forever. And forever is a really long time..."

My take: It was a quick easy read. Entertaining but so... so um, not sure how to put this, really. I don't know what to say. Part of me wants to stop at the first novel in the Blood Coven series... this one and be done with it. The other part of me wants to read the next book in the series just to, you know, see what happens next. We've all heard of Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Well in this book, there's a vampire slayer named Bertha. Thankfully, Bertha has but a brief part in this book. I have to wonder what it takes to get a book published these days. Just write any old thing and wrap it around the most far-fetched imaginable things you can think of -- stick a vampire in the fray and poof you're a best selling author. I'm not going to dis on the book too bad, some day, I may be a published author and wouldn't want someone bashing my hard work. I'm sure many people found this book and/or series entertaining... But the Holy Grail? I mean come on. I won't give any spoilers. If you are looking for a humorous light Sunday afternoon read, then by all means, be my guest. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Reading level:
Young Adult
Paperback:
272 pages
Publisher:
Berkley Trade (April 4, 2006)
Language:
English
ISBN-10:
0425209423
ISBN-13:
978-0425209424


My rating: C




0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...