Book Review: The Summer I turned Pretty


Book Review: The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

First sentence: "We'd been driving for about seven thousand years."

From the back: "When each summer begins, Belly leaves her school life behind and escapes to Cousins Beach, the place she has spent every summer of her life. Not only does the beach house mean home away from home, but her favorite people are there: Susannah, her mother's best friend, and her sons, Conrad and Jeremiah. Belly has been chasing Conrad for as long as she can remember, and more than anything, she hopes this summer will be different. Despite distractions from a new guy named Cam and lingering looks from Conrad's brother, Jeremiah, Belly's heart belongs to Conrad. Will he offer his to her? Will this be the summer that changes everything?"

My take: I really enjoyed reading this book. It was light and breezy like a summer should be. But it was serious too. Touching on more serious issues than which bikini to wear to the pool or what to wear to the bonfire. It's about other things like death and dying. Divorce and resentment. Jealousy and spite. The tender time when a girl is caught between being a little girl and being a bigger little girl. I finished this one and picked up the 2nd one in the series and can't wait to get into that one as well. I recommend this book to readers of Sarah Dessen and Jennifer Echols.

If you've reviewed the book, leave a comment here and I'll post a link to your review!

Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers; 1 edition (April 6, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1416968296
ISBN-13: 978-1416968290

My Rating: A




2 comments :

Amber said...

I've heard really good things about this series from everyone who has read it. I like that it mixes the light feelings of summer and more serious issues.

Lori L. Clark said...

I'm almost done with the 2nd book in the series and it's really hard to put down! Great series!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...