Book Review: Beautiful Disaster


Book Review: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

First sentence: "Everything in the room screamed that I didn't belong."

From Barnes & Noble: "The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend America, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the charming college co-ed. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his charms, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’ apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match."

My take: This is a self-published book that is worth the read. I admit, even though I have one self-published book of my own, I still tend to be a self-published book snob. Not only that, but I read this on my phone! The horror. I'm glad I read it. Travis and Abby have a difficult to explain relationship. A very co-dependent type situation. Both of them have a past to contend with. Travis' is a man-ho. Plain and simple. Abby is running from her past. A very different type of past. Theirs is a strange and compelling relationship with so much sexual tension you could slice it with a knife. There's violence, some foul language, sex. None of which bothered me. It was refreshing to read a love story that isn't all happy-ever-after. The emotional roller-coaster of real life drama. Great read!

If you've reviewed the book, leave a comment here and I'll post a link to your review!

Tina's Book Reviews

Paperback: 362 pages
Publisher: CreateSpace (October 3, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1466401885
ISBN-13: 978-1466401884

My rating: B




2 comments :

Marce said...

I really want to read this one also, have it on the Kindle.

I highly recommend you read Fifty Shades of Grey, that is the first in the trilogy.

I agree it was a nice change of romance, dark etc. Many recommended Beautiful Disaster.

Lori L. Clark said...

I am going to look into Fifty Shades of Grey, I've heard that is good, also. Thanks for the tip and thanks for stopping by.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...