Book Review: The Future of Us


Book Review: The Future of Us by Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler

First sentence: "I can't break up with Graham today, even though I told my friends I'd do it the next time I saw him."

From the front flap: "It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long -- up until last November, when everything changed. Things have been awkward ever since, but when Josh's family gets an American Online CD-ROM in the mail, his mom makes him bring it over so Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto Facebook... but Facebook hasn't been invented yet. Josh and Emma are looking at their profiles fifteen years in the future. Their spouses, careers, homes, and status updates -- it's all there. But it's not what they expected. And every time they refresh their pages, their futures change. As they grapple with the ups and downs of what their lives hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right -- and wrong -- in the present."

My take: I was looking forward to reading this book because I enjoyed Jay Asher's other book, Thirteen Reasons Why, so much. This book wasn't a disappointment and I read it in no time. There are some minor bugs about the book that I can't put my finger on -- they just didn't seem to "fit" with the scheme of things. For the most part, I liked the book and would recommend it to other Jay Asher or Carolyn Mackler fans out there. Josh and Emma's friendship is enviable when it's working. Josh seemed like a great guy and Emma -- well Emma -- I don't know. It's not that I didn't like her or connect with her... I just didn't understand why she did some of the things she did. Read the book and see for yourself. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

If you've reviewed the book, leave a comment here and I'll post a link to your review!

Hardcover: 356 pages
Publisher: Razorbill (November 21, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1595144919
ISBN-13: 978-1595144911

My rating: B




0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...