Book Review: Chasing Brooklyn


Book Review: Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder

First sentence: "One year ago today, I lost my boyfriend Lucca."

From the back: "Restless souls and empty hearts.

Brooklyn can't sleep. Her boyfriend, Lucca, died only a year ago, and now her friend Gabe has just died of an overdose. Every time she closes her eyes, Gabe's ghost is there waiting for her. She has no idea what he wants or why it isn't Lucca visiting her dreams.

Nico can't stop. He's always running, trying to escape the pain of losing his brother, Lucca. But when Lucca's ghost begins leaving messages, telling Nico to help Brooklyn, emotions come crashing to the surface.

As the nightmares escalate and the messages become relentless, Nico reaches out to Brooklyn. But neither of them can admit that they're being haunted. Until they learn to let each other in, not one soul will be able to rest."

My take: Lisa Schroeder's books are so easy to read because the word count is next to nothing. But what she manages to say in 500 words -- some writers can't get said in 3000. There is no extra padding. It's not needed. This is the 2nd book I've read by this author, and I believe all of her work is written in the same prose-like style. Lucca's friend Gabe committed suicide and is haunting her nightmares. Lucca's brother Nico is being haunted by Lucca. Nico and Brooklyn become friends and both fight the pull of anything stronger. In spite of the two ghosts who are intent on them allowing the friendship to become more. Good, fast, thoroughly enjoyable book.

If you've reviewed the book, leave a comment here and I'll post a link to your review!

Reading Vacation

Reading level: Ages 14 and up
Paperback: 432 pages
Publisher: Simon Pulse; Reprint edition (April 19, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1416991743
ISBN-13: 978-1416991748

My rating: B




2 comments :

Marce said...

I LOVE her work, haven't read this one though, I think this is the only one I haven't. My favourite is I heart you, You haunt me but all are 4 stars or higher in my opinion.

Lori L. Clark said...

I really liked I Heart You, You Haunt Me, too. Very well written books. Direct to the point and not overly wordy.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...