Book Review: Caring is Creepy


Book Review: Caring is Creepy by David Zimmerman

First sentence: "The most dangerous thing I ever did was tell a grown man my real name."


From Amazon.com: "Fifteen-year-old Lynn Marie Sugrue is doing her best to make it through a difficult summer. Her mother works long hours as a nurse, and Lynn suspects that her mother’s pill-popping boyfriend has enlisted her in his petty criminal enterprises. Lynn finds refuge in online flirtations, eventually meeting up with a troubled young soldier, Logan Loy, and inviting him home. When he’s forced to stay over in a storage space accessible through her closet, and the Army subsequently lists him as AWOL, she realizes that he’s the one thing in her life that she can control. Meanwhile, her mother’s boyfriend is on the receiving end of a series of increasingly violent threats, which places Lynn squarely in the cross-hairs."

My take: There were things about this book which "fit" and things about it that didn't work at all. Lynn is fifteen and Logan Loy is 25. Which in itself is wrong for a lot of reasons. Maybe if she was seventeen and him ten years older that might not seem so bad. There was so much back and forth and around and around going on in this book that it was hard to keep track of what was going on. Things that were there that didn't need to be there. And things that just plan did not make sense. The biggest problem I had was why Lynn needed to take all of Logan's clothes and throw them away. Why she kept him naked in a hidden space in the back of her closet -- naked. Another thing I didn't like was that he was able to get out and use the bathroom, why was he not able to take showers or bathe? That's just wrong. But, having said all the things I didn't like about the book, I did read it fairly fast and I enjoyed it, though some parts I skimmed over to get past. I still wonder about a few things, but that's okay. Just because I didn't get it all the time, doesn't mean it wasn't a worthy read.

If you've reviewed the book, leave a comment here and I'll post a link to your review!
  
Paperback: 336 pages 
Publisher: Soho Press; Original edition (April 3, 2012) 
Language: English 
ISBN-10: 1569479771 
ISBN-13: 978-1569479773


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...