Book Review: Riptide


Book Review: Breaker by Michael Prescott

First sentence: "Edward Hare sat alone at a corner table, nursing a mug of beer and warding off the blandishments of harlots."

From Amazon.com: "Jennifer Silence reads between the lines. A psycholinguistic analyst, she studies documents written by murderers, teasing out hidden clues. But nothing in her life has prepared her for the document that is now in her hands. A leather-bound diary from a crumbling crypt. The diary of Jack the Ripper. If it is genuine, it suggests a troubling connection between Jennifer's family and history's most infamous serial killer. A connection that may explain her father's suicide ... and her brother's mental illness. A connection that may implicate her brother in a new rash of killings, and prove that the Ripper's spirit still prowls dark streets and alleys, taking lives ... And the next victim may be Jennifer herself."

My take: I read this on recommendation from a co-worker. It was a good story and wove an interesting "what-if" sort of tale. It kept me interested, though toward the end -- when all the excitement was happening -- I thought it was dragging. Nothing personal toward the book, I think I was just anxious for it to be done. This is the first work I've read by Michael Prescott, and it probably won't be the last. I found his writing to be engaging. 

If you've reviewed the book, leave a comment here and I'll post a link to your review!

Paperback: 296 pages 
Publisher: CreateSpace (June 29, 2010) 
Language: English 
ISBN-10: 1453640487 
ISBN-13: 978-1453640487  



0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...