Book Review: The Lucky One


















Book Review: The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks

First sentence: "Deputy Keith Clayton hadn't heard them approach, and up close, he didn't like the looks of them any more than he had the first time he'd seen them."
From the back: "After U.S. Marine Logan Thibault finds a photograph of a smiling young woman buried in the dirt during his tour of duty in Iraq, he experiences a sudden streak of luck, winning poker games and even surviving deadly combat. Only his best friend, Victor, seems to have an explanation for his good fortune: the photograph -- his lucky charm.

Back home in Colorado, Thibault can't seem to get the woman in the photograph out of his mind and he sets out on a journey across the country to find her.  But Thibault is caught off guard by the strong attraction he feels when his search leads him to Elizabeth, a divorced mother in North Carolina with a young son -- and he keeps the story of the photo, and his luck, a secret. As he and Elizabeth embark upon a passionate love affair, Thibault's secret will soon threaten to tear them apart, destroying not only their love but also their lives."

My Take: I'm always very hesitant to read Nicholas Sparks' books because I'm usually disgusted with the ending. Take Nights in Rodanthe for instance. OMG. I wanted to throw the TV through the sliding glass doors after that movie. I won't give away the ending of The Lucky One, but I will say that it will surprise you. I haven't seen the movie. I have seen the trailer for the movie, and it looks like there are some differences between the two. The book starts out a little slow, lets you get to know all of the characters. Between Logan Thibault (Tee-bow -- you know like the Denver Bronco's quarterback -- which is interesting, considering This Thibault's home is Colorado), Keith Clayton -- the ex-husband and all around jackhammer creep, and between Beth -- Elizabeth. Throw in Nana and Ben and you've got a pretty great cast of characters. The book builds slow, you read the back of the book and it makes it sound like as soon as he found her, they were instantly attracted to one another and couldn't fight that passion. It doesn't exactly happen that way. Which I think makes it more real. Overall, I loved the book and am glad I took a chance on Nicholas Sparks again, in this instance. 

If you've reviewed the book, leave a comment here and I'll post a link to your review!


Mass Market Paperback: 416 pages
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing; Reprint edition (March 1, 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1455508977
ISBN-13: 978-1455508976





2 comments :

Stephanie said...

I haven't read any Sparks before, but I have this one in my review pile, and I'm curious about whether I'll like it or not. Thanks for the review (and glad to hear that the ending didn't make you want to throw the book across the room!).

Stephanie @ Read in a Single Sitting

Jean Maurie (angelsloveyou) said...

This book sounds intriguing. Maybe after I finish others I'll tackle it - unless I find it in the library in the large print section, then who knows. I hope it is not too awful an ending. I understand you wanting to throw things at the others. Me too!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...